Strange Bedfellows
Tears From the Sun
Under The Rose

GAMES PAST
Cry Havoc
First Light
Light From Shadow
Time Under Chaos

There were times that called for the use of ancient and powerful words, the acknowledgment of humans in a crisis everywhere and everywhen since language was first invented. This was one of them. "Shit." Aurora said.
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:35 am

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:34 am 
Goddess

Should have done this to start with. :oops: There's some folks on the Memberlist that I don't think everyone knows. We cannot have this! It is not to be borne!

So... hi.

Post subject: Jvstin
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:47 pm 
Shadow Walker

Hi.

Paul "Jvstin" Weimer here. I've been GMing Amber since the early 90's. I GM one of the older continuous PBEMs extant, Strange Bedfellows (see the sidebar for a link).

I also go to at least one con a year. This year, I am going to The Black Road.

As far as my Amber career and abilities as a player...well, that's a controversial subject. ;)

Mainly, I'm just this guy, you know?

Post subject: Okay.
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:05 pm 
Innocent of All But Malice

Howdy!

George Martin here. Playing Wargames since 1973, RPGs since 1980 and Amber since 1996. I occasionally play, occasionally run and with the exception of UsCon (us, not U.S.-a convention 8 or 9 of my high school buddies and I do every year since 2000) I haven't been to a con since AmberCon 9. But if they ever have one in the Carolina area ((cough cough Courts of Chaos Con)) I would happily attend.

I'm no Christopher Walken but I'm not a slouch either. ((No cowbell jokes or hidden watch stories please.))

I'm a nice guy, addicted to World of Warcraft when I can't play Amber and married with children. Next post, my teen years. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:04 pm 
Pattern Adept

Hey everyone,

Name is Ken (Cinaed) Cole, new to the game, only played a few f2f scenerios with a friend who got me into the game then stopped because he got to busy to play. I love the books and currently rereading the Merlin Chronicles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:16 pm 
Pattern Adept

Hiya. Tony Lower-Basch here. I've been playing Amber on and off since '89. I got really, really into the PBeM and PBP scene a few years ago, but it didn't work out happily. I think that I generally wanted games to do more than be, y'know, games and the frustration that led to ended up with me starting games, then bagging them, then starting new ones, always letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. There are, I suspect, some folks around here who have been in games I abandoned for one lousy reason or another. Sorry :(

Got away from Amber for a while, and into some other things, and now I look at the prospect of playing again with a certain wary excitement. Not gonna run no more, though ... nope. Not 'til I build up a track record of less dysfunctional behavior.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:44 pm 

Hey Tony, good to see you around. Its a shame those early murders derailed that Victorian game of yours. I loved the concept of Butler as a stat. I remember finding your Capes stuff and various posts on the indie games forums and going, "So that's what he was trying to do with Amber!"

Anyway, for those you that don't know me, I'm Rich DiTullio and I liked Amber so much I married her! The game is decent too and I've played it off and on since the early nineties. I'm a molecular biologist, a father of a two year old, and a lover of Chinese food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:04 pm 
Artistic Director

I'm Carolyn. I started playing ADRPG in college (early 00s) when a friend said "You know there's a game for those books, right?" I first attended The Black Road three or four years ago, because it's local, and that's how I met everyone in the online Amber circles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:08 pm 
Goddess

Howdy, and welcome to everyone!

I'm Theresa, the owner of the board. I'm known around the 'Net as Arden Ranger, or just Arden. I've been playing Amber since 1994, but I was a D&D player from the beginning, and done my time in Vampire and Werewolf. I've been a rabid PBeM player since a Myriads of August call for players went out on the AML in 1996 and Jenna spoiled me for everything else.

Quote:
There are, I suspect, some folks around here who have been in games I abandoned for one lousy reason or another. Sorry

But they were <I>awesome</i> while they lasted!

Quote:
I'm a molecular biologist, a father of a two year old, and a lover of Chinese food.

And Dr Who.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:14 pm 

Hi all

Eric Henry here. I'm an Australian who has been role-playing since the mid-80s and playing Amber since the mid-90s. I started playing PBeM a few years after that when a friend of mine started running one and have been pretty much hooked ever since.

By day, I develop statistical classifications for the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:32 pm 

Hey!

*(Because I'm lazy, and incredibly tired, I just copy and pasted this from the PoP website. :) ]

My name is Ray. I am happily married with two children. I drive a school bus for the Head Start program in my county. And, I've been gaming for nearly 25 years. But it started when my dad read J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit" to me when I was about seven or eight years old. I started Role Playing the summer I turned 14.

Since then, I've played so many games! Board games, card games, role playing games, collectible card games, live action role playing games, video games and computer games! And there are *SO* many stories I could tell, I wouldn't know where to start. But since we're playing Amber, I'll tell that story.

I had been playing AD&D for a long time, as well as Shadow Run and a couple others, but I was getting burned out. Honestly I was about ready to swear off role playing games for good. But luckily for me I had just started back to college for the second time and I had an awesome English Composition instructor. About a week into the class, he pulled me aside and asked, "Are you a gamer?" I was not expecting that! "Is it something obvious?" I replied. Heh. I would have liked to see the expression on my face. Anyway, we started talking about games and I confessed how I was thinking about giving it up. That's when he asked me if I had heard of Zelazny and his "Chronicles of Amber." or the Diceless Role Playing Game based on the books. I hadn't so he brought the Corwin series the next day so I could borrow them. That was on a Friday. By Monday I had read all of them and wanted more! When I returned his books on Monday, he told me that his gaming group had just lost a player and had a spot open if I was interested. I went to the next meeting of the group and by the end of the session, I had my very first Amber character! That was 12 years ago!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:28 am 
Castle Guard

Oh...so I should post something about myself?

Well...I'm Amanda. I'm 30, married, have two children and five cats (four indoor, one out). i love to read, write, sing, play music, watch movies, play with my children, and, of course, roleplay (which is done in the form of writing these days). I also love photography, am a quilter, and study Aikido (used to do Judo). I studied Japanese for five and a half years, threein highschool, two and a half in college. I really loved it, but am too busy to continue my education and have lost a lot of my ability. :(

I first discovered Amber in college, but had only heard about it. I was told about the books and they fascinated me. I did not read them, however, until sometime in 2002 I believe. I fell in love with them. I've joined Ray's PoP game and have recently requested admission to another.

I think that's it. I'm sure there's lots more to tell, but you guys actually have lives and are probably interested in other things. :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:06 am 
The Anti-Canon

Hello all.
Good to meet everyone, my name is Bryan and I'm an alcoholic.

Oops, wait, wrong introduction. :P

About me. I'm 39 and single, I love reading, writing, computers, movies, and roleplaying. I'm a movie projectionist for a living which means I'm poor as dirt, but I love my job.

I've been playing Amber for a long time now, almost twenty odd years. ( I guess since 92.) I started with face to face games, then after my long term group broke up I went searching for an alternative and found it in PBEM Amber games.

I'm quite happy to say hello to everyone, both the people I know and the ones I haven't yet met.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:01 am 

I'm Stuart. Older than I like, but still young enough.

I started Role-playing in 1978-79 with D&D, adding in Rolemaster and Champions before I was out of High School. I collect role-playing games when I can, and play as many as I'm able.

I picked up Amber the game in the late 90s. I'm not a fanboy, per se - I like playing Amber, but it's actually not my number one genre.

I have a recurring Amber game that I run whenever the pressure of the ideas gets too much - I call every iteration Axioms. I have yet to run it long enough for anyone to find out why. I'm hoping this latest run will do it, though, largely because Axioms isn't the only Amber game I've got in my head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:52 pm 
Shadow Walker

Hi all,

I’m Marieke, from the Netherlands. I’m 32 years old and I love to read.

I’ve been playing Amber online for a bit over a year now, and FtF a while longer then that. I also play D&D and other tabletop RPG’s and I (used to) LARP, but Amber is by far my favourite. I’ve just started a new campaign for my friends over here, but like most people I’d rather play then GM.

I’m glad the board has reincarnated, and as I said, I’ll try to post more in this new version :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:50 am 
Pattern Adept

Hi. I'm Ginger. I'm 40 and I've been roleplaying tabletop since the mid 80s. This year marks my 10th year of playing Amber online.

My major Amber project is House of Cards, which I co-GM with my husband (who will probably eventually show up around here). It's been running for seven years as of the end of May.

I try to go to ACUS and TBR every year but that's going to be harder now that I'm in Austin (Texas, where I belong) and not in New Jersey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:57 am 
Alpha Male

Hello,

Long time listener, first time caller, love the topic, love the show.

I am Al, doer of good, and slayer of games...

I've wargamed since the early seventies, rp'd since a few years later. Been involved with pbm for 10+ years now, and run about a dozen games on line.

Amber is not my favorite game, but I think it is the rpg most suited to being played via e-mail or post, so it is the one that I run the most.

I am also raising the next generation of boardgamers and rp'ers, my 12 year old is possibly the youngest first edition D&Der out there, and my oldest has been known to take part in my Amber games.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:56 pm 

Good deal Yorlum!

My son has played second edition D and D, a few times. Mostly introductory stuff.

And tonight we commemorate D-Day by giving him a rematch against me in Avalon Hill's D-Day game.

And he's 8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:26 pm 
Tech Goddess

Hi there!

I'm Sarah - another Texan, but out of the Dallas area instead of farther south. I have a cat named Amber (though I didn't name her, the name was a good enough reason to meet her), a dog named Shade (who entered the household first or I would have had to name her in keeping with the theme), and a dear husband who can't quite figure out why I own probably 10 pounds of dice and love a diceless game.

I've been gaming since 1998 or so, in whatever system was being offered most of the time; I've played D&D, mostly 3.0/3.5, old World of Darkness, new World of Darkness, Call of Cthulu, Star Wars... In fact, I met my husband when I joined the West End Star Wars game he was running. :)

I picked up Amber Diceless in 2000, as I recall, and ran a game for college friends face-to-face and eventually over IM. I started Amber PBeMs... uh... Theresa, when was Dark and Stormy Night? 2002? 2003? Most of my gaming for several years was PBeM Amber, in fact.

Never have made it to an Ambercon - they're all far, far too far away...

I'm currently running an Amber game for some friends; instead of Amber Diceless, I'm using the Savage Worlds system.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:21 am 
Castle Guard

Hi. I'm Meera (the Fierce, Harbinger of Doom, if you must know.) I got into the game because of a guy named "Chainsaw Warrior," who ran it on a BBS this guy named "Kingslayer" was running. (Heh.) I read the books because the SysOp pushed them (literally) into my hands and said, "Read these, Meera; this is a story about your family."

I roleplayed my first official scenario with my children (then aged 3 & 5) for Mothers' Day this year. Do not mess with the Pixie Fierceness - her evil jaguars will have you for lunch.

I have run several failed PBeMs, and am not playing in any at this moment because my living circumstances make it impossible to keep a set schedule. I get the urge every once in a while to start up a new one but I mostly have control of the urges. I've attended all ACNWs except one, and keep hoping my situation will improve enough to make it to AmberCon Arizona. Oh, and maybe ACUS some year. I am doing my best to convert people into Amber gamers all up and down the Front Range of the Colorado Rockies, although I then try to use the flexibility to tempt them into other hippy indie games. [grinning]

I host some Amber-related resources on the 'net. I am a founding member of the Brand Apologists Society, and I used to run the Courts of Chaos mailing list. I bleed fire. No, wait...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:52 am 
Castle Guard

Good Evening,

I am Raven.
I am 44 years old and live in Colorado.
A transplant from the PNW and California.

I have been Rping since 1979, got my start with D&D. Since then I have played many different games and even helped beta test a couple.
I was also a part of the San Diego International Comic Con for 9 years, serving first as an volunteer and worked my way up to being a staff member.

I have loved Amber since I first picked up 9 Princes many many years ago. And fell in love with the Amber Diceless Role Playing Game the first time I played it. I am working on getting a copy of every book connected with Amber that I can. Merlin is my favorite character, followed closely by Mandor and Corwin. (yes in that order.. LOL)

I got my start playing online with BBS systems and moved to live chat online games via AOL, playing in Gor and D&D systems. Since then I have moved to playing mostly Play by Post and Email games now. Looking to return to the Face to Face world as soon as I find a game locally that will fit in with my life.

I am also a practicing Pagan that lives with 2 black cats! :twisted:

Post subject: My first post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:11 pm 
Wide-Eyed Newbie

Hello, my name is Dave. I'm from Little Rock, Arkansas. I started playing Amber during my California years in the early 90s, but quit when I moved here and went to college. Haven't played since.

Very recently I got out my old books for no apparent reason, and started remembering how much fun I had back in high school. Now I am interested in finding a PBP or PBeM game.

I found this site to be one of the most recent and active amongst the Golden Circle web ring sites, so I thought I would join.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:16 pm 
Goddess

Hi, Dave! I'm grew up El Dorado myself. My mother's family is from there. :)

Check out the Here Ye! Here Ye forum for game announcements. The game links in the side bar are another good place to look. All of them aren't accepting new players at the moment, but it never hurts to ask.

Post subject: Hello my fellow Arkansan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:08 pm 
Wide-Eyed Newbie

So I guess if I said "woo pig sooie", you would know what I mean? :)

Were there a lot of Amber fans in El Dorado?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:48 pm 
Goddess

Hell if I know. I haven't spent any significant time there since I graduated high school - which was quite a few years before I discovered Amber.

Quote:
"woo pig sooie"

Razorbacks!

When I was a kid, I was sure there was some sort of mountain voodoo involved in that chant. Seriously; how'd they come up with that? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:54 pm 
Castle Guard

Hello all,

I'm Marleen from The Netherlands.
I've been roleplaying (FtF) from 1992 onwards, starting with FASA Startrek and AD&D 2ndEd.
My first Amber campaign was in 2001, and now I'm playing in my second Amber campaign. It started in 2007, it is called "Shock of Chaos" and it is still a lot of fun... as a player, not necessarily for my character!