Strange Bedfellows
Tears From the Sun
Under The Rose

GAMES PAST
Cry Havoc
First Light
Light From Shadow
Time Under Chaos

There were times that called for the use of ancient and powerful words, the acknowledgment of humans in a crisis everywhere and everywhen since language was first invented. This was one of them. "Shit." Aurora said.
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:37 am

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:06 pm 
Goddess

I go into the ERthinking "they can fix it quick, but no. 4.5 hours, then surgery, and now because of what bad shape I was in when I got here, i am in ICU. That, I suppose, will teach me to suffar in silence for the better part of two weeks.

I have my laptop, obviously. But I don't know how much I'll be on/around. If you guys can get the word around to my various games/GMs I would appreciate it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:54 pm 
Tech Goddess

Hope you get to feeling better soon...

In the meantime, I'll make sure to keep an extra eye on things around here for ya.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:11 am 
The Anti-Canon

Ouch!
:(
Sorry to hear you are sick Theresa. I hope you feel better soon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:16 am 
Innocent of All But Malice

Ouchie. Get well soon, and take good care.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:02 am 
Goddess

SilverFox wrote:
Hope you get to feeling better soon...

In the meantime, I'll make sure to keep an extra eye on things around here for ya.

If you could let Gerard's player know that I'm not ignoring him....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:32 am 
Tech Goddess

Yup. I can do that. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:47 am 

Hope you feel better soon! At least you have your laptop to pass some of the time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:11 am 
Goddess

having my laptop would be more grand if stillwater medical center's firewall wasn't so restrictive.

also, when i am back to my prefeverish levels, I would like start that Dee/Flora thing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:02 am 

Sounds good! The hospital I work at has put up such restrictive firewalls that sometimes I can't even access medication handouts I'm giving patients - ridiculous. They can be a real pain. Strangely enough, the restrictions vary from unit to unit though where I work - so maybe it won't be so bad once you're out of the ICU. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:32 am 
Pattern Adept

Theresa wrote:
If you could let Gerard's player know that I'm not ignoring him....

Oh sure, like I am supposed to believe you didn't go and get yourself all hospitalized just to get out of writing the Flora-Gerard backstory. :wink:

Get well soon Theresa. Wow, I never realized hospital Firewalls were as bad as the food.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:26 am 
Castle Guard

Hope you're well and home in no time!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:08 am 

Get well soon, Resa.

Benedict will be waiting for you (or Flora. Whichever). :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:32 pm 
Pattern Adept

Hope you feel better soon. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:30 am 

Yikes! I know from experience, you don't want to be in there any longer than absolutely necessary. Not to worry, I too, will keep things under control around here. You just concentrate on recouping!
Love Ya!
:)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:49 am 

1) sorry to hear about your troubles, Resa. get better soon.

2) who is this Marcus Flamiel, and why is he posting on our bulletin board?!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:32 am 

myriad wrote:
2) who is this Marcus Flamiel, and why is he posting on our bulletin board?!

:-P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:24 pm 

Theresa,

I'll send prayers and good stuff your way, and any extra good karma I have lying around here.

Have a speedy recovery!

George

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:49 pm 
Shadow Walker

Hi Theresa, just adding my well-wishes to the others. I hope you're out of the hospital by now? Get well soon, anyway!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:03 pm 

Theresa is home. I should have copied her Facebook entry, but the thought didn't occur to me till now. So the barebones basic info is this;

Theresa is home and resting. She didn't have the flu but a stomach issue that presented with flu like symptoms.

I'm sure she will be back to the board soon. And posting to her games if she hasn't already.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:21 pm 
Shadow Walker

Thank you for the update :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:17 pm 
The Anti-Canon

Good news. 8)
I glad she's back home, that's got to be more comfortable for her.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:20 pm 
Goddess

I am home, but I still tire quickly. Despite what I may think of it, the surgeon classes clearing up the sizable abcess as major surgery and it's going to be awhile before I am back up to snuff. The days that Home Health comes by to change the dressing on my wound site I may not venture out of bed at all. Some of my meds make me sick in a different way and also make staying in bed attractive.

I will try to reply to things daily, but it may be less. I apologize to the players in my game for the extended delay. If someone could pass word of what is going on to Alan Wake, I would appreciate it. I don't think he reads anything but Exodus when he comes to the board so he won't know I'm not just slacking off.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:18 am 
Goddess

OK, so for those of you who don't have Live Journal, here's what happened:

I thought I had the flu coming on for several weeks. I had all the symptoms except for the serious congestion. Additionally, I should say upfront that I'm prone to small abscesses when I get sick that usually go away on their own, but I have had to see the Dr once to treat one. I'm asthmatic to begin with, so I have to be conscious of my breathing when I do get sick. So when I was having trouble and neither rescue inhaler or nebulizer was working, I went to the ER. I had an abscess crop up a few days before and it had ruptured externally the night before. It had also gotten bigger.

While the ER is busy screening and testing me for everything under the sun,.I bring their attention to the abscess. Which was pretty gross by that time. They immediately decided that was my problem and had been what was making me sick all along. Apparently even as it was forming. They immediately put me down for surgery.

The thing is, by the time I admitted I couldn't deal with whatever was wrong, my white blood cell count was through the roof, my blood sugar was 440 (aggravated by the infection and the stress because I hadn't been diabetic before), my blood pressure was "worrying low" (like 110 over 17 low), and my temp was hovering at 103. The surgeon told me if he had a choice, he wouldn't be operating yet, but he didn't. They had to get that infection out. Fist both your hands and put them side by side. Now add a third. That's about as big as the abscess was at that point.

By that time I was hooked up to 2 IVs in my hands and one in the artery of my right wrist. I was on oxygen and hooked up to more monitors then I could identify. I was pretty out of it and it didn't really register what he was saying to me. Which was "If you had just gone back to bed this morning and come in later like you say you started to, you might have never made it to the hospital."

I called my Mom, Shannara, and Dave to let them know what was going on. I tried to make it sound like it wasn't that big a deal but Shannara worries and my Mom heard "abscess" and was immediately panicked. I still wasn't as worried as I should have been, not even when they were wheeling me into the OR and the nurse said "Don't worry. They'll be keeping a close eye on your blood pressure and respiration." The last thing I remember thinking was "Wait. Don't they always do that?"

I woke up in ICU and it still hadn't sunk in. I was on three different STRONG antibiotics all of which have side effects that suck. Look of Zyvox. I had most of all those.), morphine for pain, hooked up to a wound vac machine, and being given regular insulin shots. It wasn't until a day later when I had been moved into a private room and was laying there in the dark trying to get my breath back after the trek to the bathroom that it hit me. I almost fucking died.

That's the night I broke down and cried. Not because I was suddenly scared or because of the pain, or even really because I was sick of the hospital, or because I was forever going to be on medication for diabetes now. But because if I had died then, what have I have done with my life? It was one of the moments when I looked back and could only admit that I have wasted the majority of it, and I was not ready to leave this life. Oh, I've been places, seen things, and made memories. But what have I done to better the lives I've touched? Have I prepared my kids to stand on their own? Shannara, she's going to be fine. But there is no way Josh is ready to finish growing up without me. He and his father will come to blows if he's left with Dave to finish raising him. I've let work rule my life and stress me out to the point that I haven't written one new word on any of my fiction in over two years.

Enough of that crap. I want to write, and I want to write more then essays for college textbooks that are only read by a comparative handful. I want to have written something my mother can point to in the bookstore and say "My daughter wrote that". I want to have more to show for my time than game logs (not that I'm doing away with that, mind you).

Because this event is changing the way I live my life anyway (what with the diabetes), I'm determined to change it in other ways as well. I decided at the hospital that if I was going to be without a cigarette for the next week anyway, I may as well quit. It had already been a week since I had one by that point. My regular doctor is thrilled, of course. She also confirmed how bad off I was. For a little woman, she can be right scary when she's threatening a person.

I'm going to write everyday. Even if it's just two sentences and even if I think they suck when I look back at them later.

I'm going to spend more time with my son. Me being in the hospital scared him, and he has been very helpful in the fetching department since I came home. But he's a teenager with an XBox and he spends most of his time on it. Well, that's going to change. As soon as I'm off this stupid Wound Vac, he and I are joining a gym, and when the weather allows it, we're taking walks. We both could use the exercise, and with Type 2 Diabetes running in my family for three generations now, I'll be damned if I sit by and let him succumb to it too (I've already lectured Shannara). Maybe we'll take come classes together at the community center.

So. To sum up: I almost did myself in but I'm going to be fine. Better then fine. I'll be on this Wound Vac for awhile yet, and I have to get the dressings changed every other day (and isn't that just a cheerful walk among the flowers?), but this too shall pass.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:24 am 
The Anti-Canon

:shock:
Nooo we almost lost you!

I'm so glad you're still around Theresa.

I don't envy you the task of cleaning out your wound though. A device called a wound vac sounds creepy...

Make the most of your second chance. :) And cheers on your dumping of the smokes.

/Hugs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:54 pm 

I'm glad your Good Stuff carried you through.

Have a speedy and full recovery and I'm very glad you stopped smoking.