Strange Bedfellows
Tears From the Sun
Under The Rose

GAMES PAST
Cry Havoc
First Light
Light From Shadow
Time Under Chaos

There were times that called for the use of ancient and powerful words, the acknowledgment of humans in a crisis everywhere and everywhen since language was first invented. This was one of them. "Shit." Aurora said.
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:45 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:27 pm 
Pattern Master

battlebooze wrote:
I think my next character will have all human stats and 150pt's in allies.
:)

That way my character won't feel bad about losing, with human stats what could I expect? And when I get invariably saved by an NPC, I can honestly take credit. I mean, I spent points on every npc in the game, didn't I?

;p

I really hate to laugh at another's misfortune, because it really sounds like you're getting shafted in your games and that's not really funny...

However, your comment above really made me smile.

Good luck in the game, and I marvel at your Machiavellian strategy. It's clever and apparently the GM really deserves it. :wink:

Original D&D Player since 1975

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:25 am 
The Anti-Canon

All good.
I left the game so everything is nice now. I probably could have handled the issue better but it set me off for some reason. As least there was no nastiness involved in any of the game threads. An amicable parting of the ways, you might say.

I'm very glad we have a vent style section here. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:18 pm 
Pattern Adept

battlebooze wrote:
Bad thing happens during contrived hoopla in castle. (Sorry to all you GM's but this is getting really old. The last four games I've played all started out like this. I know it's convenient, but a little variety would help.)

I always wanted to do a castle hoopla, were nothing happens outside the pc's having a good time.

If that is possible...

Cause I know, a few would go looking for trouble with that many elders around.

But I do remember in B.I., I did just have a family meeting with people talking and such. It was the thread were I thought, Amber would have their own dances... so I had one for the Royal Couple, and a Father/Daugther Dance.

<smile> But in the day where my imagination kept up with my writing skill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:50 pm 
The Anti-Canon

I would love to have an Amber masquerade ball where only dancing and socializing happened! Everyone can can plot and scheme of course, but the point would be encourage social play and interaction.

Of course, monsters would probably attack, or someone would get assassinated. :(
Sigh, we can't have nice things in Amber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:20 pm 
Pattern Adept

I would love a Amber ball to happen at the start of the game, where no one dies, apocalyptic foretellings, or kidnaps. PCs get there, met and talk, get told the important info and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:20 am 
Shadow Walker

battlebooze wrote:
I would love to have an Amber masquerade ball where only dancing and socializing happened! Everyone can can plot and scheme of course, but the point would be encourage social play and interaction.

Of course, monsters would probably attack, or someone would get assassinated. :(
Sigh, we can't have nice things in Amber.

Had a ball like that in the FTF game I am currently in. Oh, a couple of unexpected arrivals came, and there was a confrontation or two, but there were no major blow ups per se.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:36 am 
Pattern Adept

I would love to have two PCs (or a PC and an NPC) get pissed off at each other in a social setting, say "Okay, this is a social setting, let's table this until a better time," and then have them actually take out their aggressions on each other at a later, better time.

I don't know which I dislike more: People who turn a ball into an impromptu duel because they can't stand to wait for their bloodshed, or people who can't remember that they hate each other long enough to handle a change of venue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:11 am 
Pattern Adept

I remember a gentle ballroom scene in BI were Queen Gana (a PC) was doing some magical fireworks for everyone.... and inside, only Random, Vialle, and Fiona were still. Random only stay behind because of a excuse, so to not to draw attention to her blindness. Fiona, thought the whole display was a waste of magick and in protest, stay behind in the ballroom.

So when the people file back in, they saw Fiona playing a rebma harp as Random and Vialle danced. Of course, Fiona stopped and left the party before many could witness her kindness... yet some did note it.

*(my edit) I should note, Vialle up to that moment didn't dance at the party due to her belief that her blindness made her too clumsy and she didn't want to embarrass her husband by having a wife with two left feet.

I really think people do forget, as they throw daggers about and swing those big nasty swords, hurl insults and flirt with women/men/whatever.. that these events, these parties should contain these quiet moments which touch the heart.

I think, hope, a favored aunt pulling you into a alcove for a quick kiss and kind words would do more for carrying a game forward then some guy in black leather stating some threats and lines 'Oh, Amber will be destroyed next Tuesday... 8:25 am. No, there will not be cake after!'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:20 am 
The Anti-Canon

TonyLB wrote:
I would love to have two PCs (or a PC and an NPC) get pissed off at each other in a social setting, say "Okay, this is a social setting, let's table this until a better time," and then have them actually take out their aggressions on each other at a later, better time.

I don't know which I dislike more: People who turn a ball into an impromptu duel because they can't stand to wait for their bloodshed, or people who can't remember that they hate each other long enough to handle a change of venue.

Duels can be fun, as long as they take it outside and the people involved are both stinking drunk. :)
I do agree though, it would be nice to see some respect for social gatherings. Let the backstabbing be social backstabbing, not the literal thing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:21 pm 
Pattern Adept

amberpup wrote:
I think, hope, a favored aunt pulling you into a alcove for a quick kiss and kind words would do more for carrying a game forward then some guy in black leather stating some threats and lines 'Oh, Amber will be destroyed next Tuesday... 8:25 am. No, there will not be cake after!'.
I agree completely. I really, really, really want to try running the Amber setting with roughly the same emphasis as a shoujo high-school action-romance: Yes, there are big monsters to fight, and often those monsters are because of your class-mates/family ... but also, there are all these horribly fraught and shifting personal relationships, and emotions that people can't bring themselves to confess, and that's the stuff that carries over from one episode to the next, while the monsters and threats (by design!) blend into a muddy sameness from week to week, important only in how they highlight the relationships.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:54 pm 
Innocent of All But Malice

Wow. Where to start?

Firstly, the entire hacked to death plot of the (King's Ball/Vialle's Birthday/Anniversary of the End of the Patternfall War/Midsummer celebration/Lambada Competition) celebration getting interrupted by (Brand/Chaos/Sauron and the Nine Nazgul/Cthulhu/Osric and Finndo/Chuck Norris) is really, really annoying. In the game where I played Dana, she would show up to any family function with all spells hung and her tennis shoes on, because nobody ever doubted for a second that any happy occasion has to be broken up by someone.

Second, the kind moments should and would stick in your memory. The first time Dana met Corwin, he broke her leg for finding a way into his Universe.
The first time she met Bleys, he threatened to kill her if she ever showed signs of acting like her father.
Guess who assholes 1 and 2 are on her list?

The first time she met Caine, he told her "Your father is quite the artist." She likes Caine. He made a good impression.

In my campaign, the servants were having some mysterious gathering and they managed to get the King (a PC) to show up. When he did, they sang Happy Birthday to him and gave him some cake.

On the other hand, when the same King and his little troop of family brigands raided another Amber during the wake for Gerard, they set the record for pissing off the most people by the timing of their attack. One of Finndo's daughters, armed with a bottle of vodka and an empty glass, was even skewered.

I agree that if everytime a social occasion is held something bad happens, wouldn't Benedict and Random have a conversation something like this?

"Um, Random?"
"Hey Benedict, what's up? Cigarette? Beer?"
"No, I'm good, thanks. About that recognition for Martin..."
"What about it?"
"Don't you think it would be a great opportunity for one of our previously unknown enemies to strike?"
"Jesus, man, just how high is your warfare?"
"Never you mind. It just happens all the time."
"This time, let's have the party 12 hours before the scheduled start, and when the scheduled start occurs, we will all be in position to ambush the attackers."
"Uh...okay."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:09 pm 
Pattern Adept

Cynwyd wrote:
Firstly, the entire hacked to death plot of the (King's Ball/Vialle's Birthday/Anniversary of the End of the Patternfall War/Midsummer celebration/Lambada Competition) celebration getting interrupted by (Brand/Chaos/Sauron and the Nine Nazgul/Cthulhu/Osric and Finndo/Chuck Norris) is really, really annoying.
My agreement in principle is at war with my newfound desire to see a Lambada Competition broken up by Chuck Norris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:17 pm 

Well, Chuck Norris did tear the eye from the Serpent, didn't he?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:31 pm 
Alpha Male

Cynwyd wrote:
"Um, Random?"
"Hey Benedict, what's up? Cigarette? Beer?"
"No, I'm good, thanks. About that recognition for Martin..."
"What about it?"
"Don't you think it would be a great opportunity for one of our previously unknown enemies to strike?"
"Jesus, man, just how high is your warfare?"
"Never you mind. It just happens all the time."
"This time, let's have the party 12 hours before the scheduled start, and when the scheduled start occurs, we will all be in position to ambush the attackers."
"Uh...okay."

This earned a chuckle. My only thought about it is that all stat contests are <i>relative</i>, Sure Benedict is rank 1 in War among Amberites, but that doesn't mean that there are not other 1st magnitude stars out there.... or even some 0 magnitudes...

So that other star might plan for the elders plan to pre-empt the party, and adjust accordingly, ad nauseum...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:33 pm 
The Anti-Canon

No, that's just misinformation that Dworkin put out, the Serpent still has both eyes.
One time, Chuck Norris felt really bad for everyone not being as awesome as himself and he cried one solitary tear.

That is what became the Jewel of Judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:45 pm 

BRAVO BRAVO!!!!!!!

Post subject: First quest!!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:40 pm 
Shadow Walker

I've decided that everyone of my players is going on a "Fetch the Pattern Blade" Quest...

I think it will be fun to watch them go!

*dodges numerous daggers an other assorted sharp and pointy objects*

OK. Maybe not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:27 pm 
The Anti-Canon

No, no, no! Don't even joke about such a thing!

On the other hand, how about a quest where Oberon/Random/Bob gives you a Pattern blade and tells you to get rid of it?

"Taketh this cursed blade from mine sight, scurrilous fool. Bury it under yonder hill or in darkened vale and let not thy murderous kin learn of it's location. I warn thee, if I catch sight of it's foul reminder I will hold thee in contempt!"

Post subject: Get rid of it
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:08 am 
Shadow Walker

No, I've done that in games before.

That was when I used to wear my evil GM hat (I played a bit like Eric for the quick/fun/screw with you games) and yes, the damn thing kept popping back up...

Good memories, but I've already done it. I don't mind rehashing fun old plot lines, but I'd have to find a new twist for it.

Currently one of my players has a DragonBox that has a developing behind the scenes plot that is working out nicely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:54 am 
The Anti-Canon

Ah yes.. the mysterious dragon box. :) I like it, it's a fun little carrot on a stick for that character. For his sake, I hope it's really a tasty carrot and not a orange candle!

Post subject: Tasty
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:48 pm 
Shadow Walker

Hell no!

By the time I involve myself, I have written up background scenarios, traits, possible tie-ins, the whole works (to stop me contradicting myself later on). It may be a Jalapeno-on-a-stick initiated by a character, but it is usually much more than what the player first expected (sort of like Ghostwheel that way).

That's also the mentality behind not letting it just get put on a shelf somewhere. That concept doesn't work too well for Merlin, but moreover it would piss me off as a reader to have had all these useless tie-ins. Loose threads, YES! THey can be picked up later, usually with the additional bit of, "Hey dummy, look what you could have done earlier if you had just bothered to focus on the very thing YOU created!"

Yeah, my father was a donkey, and my mother a historian. See, I even turn my problems on others. I sound like a whiney player now... *laughing*

Post subject: Re: Frustrations.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:33 am 
The Anti-Canon

Some new rules for me.

I shouldn't play "Elder" games.
I really don't enjoy playing as an Elder I'm afraid. Just to much baggage IMHO.

Never agree to warn "everyone" about some coming disaster.
Seriously, if the Unicorn needs everyone to know about something, let the Unicorn do it.
Even if the NPC's and Players aren't dick's about what you're trying to tell them, it's boring as hell to repeat the same conversation over and over. This goes triple in slow moving games. Do you really want to spend a whole year* telling ungrateful assholes "Chaos is coming!"?

I didn't think so.

*(Ok, so it was just several months. It felt like a year! :P)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:45 pm 
Tech Goddess

You... do realize that you can summarize, right? Especially when dealing just with NPCs?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:19 am 
Goddess

I hate to break it to you, but most of the Elders would never say "Hey, thanks for the warning, man." Or go along with the "I know something you don't know" game if they aren't the ones in The Know. Most especially Eric, the Redheads, Caine, Random, Corwin (which is going to make it fun when Flora waltzes in and says "All right. You have been playing at being a Shadow person long enough. Time to come home"), people in the middle of their own issues.

And Julian got a visit from the Unicorn! No one else did. Besides, all Elders are ass-hats to some extent. Except Flora; she's Practically Perfect in Every Way.

Also, the game in question was described right up front as once a week GM posting. I understand being frustrated with those rat-bastard brothers, but the pace is something we knew right up front.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:19 am 
The Anti-Canon

You're right, but they don't have to be cocks about the whole, "Oh yes, we've know all that for days you silly little man."

It's not like Julian is playing a "I know something you don't" game.
If they will talk to him, he outright tells them. And he's not going to tell them what he knows over a bloody trump, like some patsy.

Another thing, spreading this message wasn't his idea, the damn Unicorn nominated him for this task. You really think Julian wanted to do this?

Hell no!
Though he is honored to have her attention.

As for being asshats, yea, I know. But you think they would at least take the Unicorn seriously. Julian wasn't looking for thanks. He was looking for an actual look of real concern, not a casual, "oh, how quaint."

There is another issue, somewhat relevant the posting rate.
As I just told Silverfox in a PM, I also lost two of the three PC's I wanted to roleplay with, Gerard and Fiona. I had hoped to converse with them a bit, since as players they could post more. I had wanted to talk to Flora more as well, but you did a good job of stomping on Julian's heart with your spiked shoes. :)

Last edited by battlebooze on Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.