Strange Bedfellows
Tears From the Sun
Under The Rose

GAMES PAST
Cry Havoc
First Light
Light From Shadow
Time Under Chaos

There were times that called for the use of ancient and powerful words, the acknowledgment of humans in a crisis everywhere and everywhen since language was first invented. This was one of them. "Shit." Aurora said.
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:44 am

Post subject: Panic
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:54 pm 
Tech Goddess

If you are running around like a chicken with your head chopped off and complaining UP the corporate ladder instead of reaching across to the people you need to work with in the first place...

Your method of panicking sucks.

And you probably work at the same company I do, dammit.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Post subject: Re: Panic
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:34 am 
Shadow Walker

We must know/work 'with' the same people.

Sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:11 am 
Tech Goddess

Seriously sucks. I have now racked up 20 hours of conference calls on this project - and that's just the ones with the client! People are claiming my group is throwing them under the bus, when all we're doing is trying to fix the issue, and then the client wants to know who THEY can blame, personally, for all of this.

OMG.

This has been, like, a six-margarita week...

And the best part? The very best part?

I'm the freaking programmer! I'm not supposed to spend half a work week on the phone with the client to fix an issue someone else fucked up somewhere that isn't my code! And I'm not even the programmer for this product - I have only half a clue what the fuck I'm doing with this stuff, and the higher-ups in my company refuse to call in people who do know, because hey, only one programmer makes things less confusing.

ARGH

Last edited by SilverFox on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forgot the 'best' part

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:05 am 
The Anti-Canon

Sorry to hear about your disaster. I really don't have anything to compare with it I'm afraid, besides having to deal with the public all day at a gas station.

I miss my theater job. :( Running movies was so much less stress.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:34 am 
Shadow Walker

Yeah, don't you love those waking up moments, realising you have to drag yourself over there for another day of misery? Last week it was Monday, but I was so tired I thought it was Friday and the only thing that got me out of bed was the idea that this was the last day and I would have at least two days before going in again. I was wrong.

I work at a +_ 4 (story in itself) person department in an office of 25 people. Most of these are women over 50 who've had no education towards this field, but got dragged in 20+ years when the company was run by 'friends'. The business got taken over by folks who just don't know how to deal with all these women and there excessive feuding rooted in mysterious pasts. Nobody talks to each other, everybody just complains to the head of the company whose main policy is to ignore stuff until it goes away. it goes away in the form of people getting burned out or anxiety attacks because they have to come into work, which gives those that stay behind more stress.

Did I mention it sucks?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:37 pm 
Castle Guard

Sounds like the normal company at a quite normal day...

Yesterday another one got a warning letter to the employee,
for a mistake I myself made and for what i apologised to the Big Boss personally days ago - because it was HIS shift.

This is also a position where you are not allowed to make decisions but the rules are so wide that you have to make them. And if you thought wrong - your fault.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:31 am 
The Anti-Canon

Oh god, that sounds like when I was in charge of the photo department of my old retail job.

The managers would give customers their pictures for free because they didn't understand the way photo developing worked and didn't want to "upset" them.

Then they would come to me later and demand to know why my department didn't make it's numbers even though we were always busy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:12 am 
Goddess

I'd almost still trade you my bipolar boss for any of yours.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:20 pm 
Shadow Walker

Did I mention that last year I decided to ask for a raise on my travelling expenses, since they decided I had to spend my days in a different place without talking it through with me?

Long story short; I received a 7% raise on my normal gage, since looking into the travel budget was too complicated. It was more then what I asked for, so hey, I took it. Two months later, they decided that no, actually, there was no raise. I went back to my previous amount. When I mentioned that this seemed unfair as well as illegal (they were now effectively lowering my pay) they answered that if I decided to insist on what they admitted was rightfully mine, I would eventually be let go. They added that I should be grateful they didn't make me pay back the difference. And yes, this is the short version.

Not to mention the fact that the couple who own the company were overheard saying in all seriousness to an employee whose father died that at least now she could focus on work. Then a guy who was clinically depressed had to spend his vacation on getting treatment, as he was told that if he called in sick, which he, you know, was, he would be docked his pay. This was after the couple themselves effectively disappeared for a whole year because their child was ill (admittedly, it was very serious and we are all glad the brad survived), leaving their company hanging in a financial crisis. Not that they thanked us for doing our own work and theirs as well when they came back. Talking about their troubles is too painful. Except when you come to them with a problem; then you should know that their mind is on other things and you should not trouble them with you unimportant business.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:59 pm 

Good Grief! I realize I'm on the outside looking in through a limited perspective and, times are tough, but why on earth do you put up with the crap? Why not try to find something less volatile? I know that's easier said than done these days, but seriously, that's not healthy.

Well at the very least you are able to vent. That does help a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:37 pm 
Shadow Walker

Oh, I'm looking....

And anyway, thanks, but now I've vented enough. I know that there are people who'd give anything to have even my job, so... I just wanted to let Sarah know that she isn't alone (not that it helps) and then the suggestion that the situation at my work was normal set me off.

Yeah, I don't like complaining and I shall stop, now ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:06 am 
Tech Goddess

Yikes, I think you win!

I do appreciate the sympathy and stories. I had a really rough week last week, thanks to mis-communications and IDIOTS that I unfortunately work with... Nothing like making the client pissed enough to specifically ask whose fault it is, right?