Strange Bedfellows
Tears From the Sun
Under The Rose

GAMES PAST
Cry Havoc
First Light
Light From Shadow
Time Under Chaos

There were times that called for the use of ancient and powerful words, the acknowledgment of humans in a crisis everywhere and everywhen since language was first invented. This was one of them. "Shit." Aurora said.
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:40 am

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:28 am 
The Anti-Canon

I didn't think it was possible, but I think I've just WON an Amber game.

Theresa? can I get a special title? :D

How?

I made a character so BIG that he couldn't fit in the game world.
My character was literally to much for the game. I think everything I wanted to do would have blown up the canon we were trying to stick too.

It would have been nice if the game could have been big and flexible enough to hold him, but I find I am oddly satisfied with the way things turned out.

Yay Magnus! Rock on, mighty character. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:39 am 
Goddess

Magnus: Destroyer of Worlds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:45 am 
The Anti-Canon

Wasn't there was already a destroyer of worlds on the board?

Besides, I didn't destroy the world, I just said, "What's all this following canon bullcrap?"

Everyone else seems to be ok with the restrictions to various degrees.
Odd, very odd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:16 am 
Goddess

//shrug. I still haven't gotten back what I put into that Character Interrogation. ;)

I dunno. Coming from a long history of playing Amber PBEMs with dozens of different GMs, I think you and I are just going to see things differently from people who don't have that kind of exposure. I'm not saying it's better one way or the other, just that it's part of what's formed our opinions.

I like playing Francesca, and you and I both know how difficult it is to find a game with any sort of staying power to it. I can't begin to tell you how many of my characters were made for games that didn't make it longer then a handful of months. Hell, one didn't even make it past the back-story phase, and one collapsed during the auction!

So... I'll take a lot before I throw up my hands. I may vent nastily once in awhile though. :)

Quote:
Wasn't there was already a destroyer of worlds on the board?

Nope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:40 am 
The Anti-Canon

Ok, now I remember.

Yorlum!

He was the great wrecker of games! Or so he said, unless I am hallucinating again.

About that game, all I can say is that if I had stayed playing, I'm pretty sure I would have continually smashed my head against the canon of the campaign every time I tried to make a difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:47 am 
Goddess

Heh. Yes, Yorlum has terrible luck. Every game he's played in has died. Poor sod. Except for the one that had once been great, but turned out to be utter shite with a GM who was fucking insane. The-Game-That-Must-Not-Be-Named as we fondly remember it. There was a mass exodus of board members from the game at the same time. Which is the whole basis of my game: Exodus.

*ahem* Anyway. Alas, poor Yorlum: Slayer of Games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:59 am 
The Anti-Canon

hahha, poor guy!

I think I'm batting about 100. I've still got Axioms and a couple of really slow games going.

I should have plenty of time to get creative.

Shame about my construct though, I think it had some real promise. I'm gonna recycle it sometime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:10 am 
The Anti-Canon

I've become the Anti-canon I see.

People are going to get the wrong idea about me from that, lol.

I'm not complaining though. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:09 am 
Goddess

"What's all this following canon bullcrap?" takes up too much room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:15 am 
Innocent of All But Malice

Yorlum was in Light From Shadow, wasn't he? And that game played through to its conclusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:22 pm 
Tech Goddess

Wait, wait, are you guys talking about the game I think you're talking about? You have to fill me in on the juicy details, Theresa!

Post subject: Juicy details
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:28 pm 
Shadow Walker

Juice is good...

...adaptation is better though...

I'll vote for Magnus, The Confounded, before I would, the Destroyer of Worlds. :) Just because you can't figure out how to make a character fit, or the GM does a bad job of explaining things, doesn't mean that Amber failed. Rather, the characters that are able to play and want to keep the story unfolding always win because they end up with a good time.

Silverfox, it's my game, so I can take the heat. Especially for the interrogation bit Theresa is getting on me. I made all the questionnaires players had used over years available (in hindsight I forgot that new players to a game can't hold off -I'm guilty too- and instead of doing three of them, most folk like noble Theresa and Battlebooze did all 8 to get the extra points).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:20 pm 
Tech Goddess

I know, Seanchi. :) I'm your other Former Player, played Octavia for a bit until our play style differences got the better of us. I think I managed to finish one of the eight parts of that beast, and about 45-50% of the rest...

I still keep up with the game a bit - I make Theresa tell me what's going on. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:35 pm 
Goddess

Theresa however doesn't tell you anything about anyone else really. Since I really only had time to skim every thread not about me. :D

I can tell you it sucks to be Elden. Clearly Julian used an Evil Fairy Godmother curse on his daughter at some point for Elden to still be suffering for bedding her. Oh, and Tara makes me laugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:24 pm 
Tech Goddess

LOL You did tell me about Elden, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:52 pm 
Goddess

erichenry wrote:
Yorlum was in Light From Shadow, wasn't he? And that game played through to its conclusion.

Yes, yes he was, and I totally forgot about that one. I think he may have left and come back into later. It's been too long for me to remember. Though in the spirit of full disclosure, I also have to state that he has dropped a game or two that went merrily along with out him.

Still, he has a dismal track record.

Post subject: Elden and Aria
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:16 am 
Shadow Walker

Elden with bad fairies because of Aria? Oh please! I seem to recall a plethora of screams to ride out of the fire rather than kneel in a burning lake... and yet somehow, good stuff winning out, he still walked out alive (I always picture the scene from "V" where he walks out of the burning building as Elden leaving that lake of fire.

Hi Silverfox/Octavia! I didn't realize it was you, but it is nice to see you again. I hope life is going exceptionally well for you! I do remember, you were only in for that opening dinner scene, where you ended up swinging the throne seat to Eric. That was pretty cool, and of course has kept him in the throne seat until now, where Bleys is trying to still off him, while Corwin rots in the dungeons.

Those really are some monster quizzes, when you try to tackle them all at once, rather than one here and there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:37 am 
Goddess

Yes, but most of us are from the "You have to finish your quiz first!" school of Quiz Hell. Consequently, we have it in our subconscious to get it the hell done.

Happily, I no longer have the shiny badge of "GM with the most hellish quiz". That's all you now.

As for Elden, I still maintain he is the poster boy for Too Much Bad Stuff to Die.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:46 pm 

Death just ends the suffering. Why do that? I've always found that the best way to keep the players suffering is to leave them alone, and torture and kill any NPC they really like.

It makes them crazy.

And drives them to do all kinds of really cool things.

And since none of my players are on this board, as far as I know, I can spill my guts.

Or their NPCs guts.

Case in point, one of my players is also one of my oldest friends. (Best man at each others' weddings, in fact, and godfathers to each others' children.) So naturally, I give him the most crap.

1. His father was Dalt.
2. Dalt pissed off Amber by killing one of Corwin's kids.
3. Dalt pissed off the Seelie and Unseelie Courts by killing a bunch of them and taking their equivalent of the J of J.
4. His sister was a complete psycho who also derided and tormented him.
5. His first lover died.
6. His second lover died.
7. While trying to rescue his foster-father (One of the Fae) he got involved in a battle that resulted in his foster-father's death and Dalt's capture and eventual delivery to the Unseelie Court.
8. Dalt had such incredible nastiness done to him by the Unseelie that when he was returned to the PCs sister, she euthanized him.
9. The bad sister was murdered in Amber.
10. His adopted people (he was stolen from Dalt as a baby and raised by the Fae) had their home destroyed and most of them were wiped out.
11. An NPC he was lusting after nearly killed him, and he nearly killed her when he was possessed by one of the nasties in the basement in the Castle.

And he loves every minute of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:09 pm 
Goddess

Quote:
Death just ends the suffering. Why do that?

Exactly! Hence the too much Bad Stuff to die! The Universe must have its pound of flesh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:48 pm 
Tech Goddess

Theresa wrote:
Exactly! Hence the too much Bad Stuff to die! The Universe must have its pound of flesh.

Again and again and again and again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:50 pm 

As regularly as possible.

Also:
Quote:
Everyone else seems to be ok with the restrictions to various degrees.
Odd, very odd.

Not every character was designed with something that might run into the barriers that Magnus encountered.

Most of the rest of the characters were probably created 'simply' enough to not run into those game mechanic barriers.

I ran Champions for many years and only one of my players routinely had a problem with his characters. Everyone else didn't push the envelope during character creation the same way he did. And there was nothing wrong with that. We always had to have discussions regarding the character and changes had to be made sometimes.

Just playing Devil's advocate here. The problem is that in this case, the player and the gamemaster should have come to some agreement on what the boundaries were for Magnus. All the same, I'll also miss Magnus, destroyer of worlds, roller of cigarettes. Or whatever those things were.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:35 pm 
The Anti-Canon

While I appreciate you opinion Cynwyd, I have to say that as Magnus's player I wasn't asking for much. Just, you know, my choices being respected equally with the canon events.

For example, if me and Francesca decided to rescue Corwin, I can't believe we would be given a legitimate chance for success. We would have had every chance to fail, to die and be imprisoned though.

If you are satisfied with your own lesser story outside of canon, rock on.

I was going to engage canon and try to make a difference. Why bother with playing a "canon" game if your character can only interact with it's periphery or try to squeeze in to the cracks?
I don't want to just "play along".

That's why I had to quit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:25 pm 

Well, you didn't try to rescue Corwin did you?

And I don't recall seeing in Canon where a belligerent son of Brand pestered and heckled Corwin all night until Julian told him to shut up.

Maybe I just haven't run into the Canon wall. Or Canon fire. On second thought, Canon wall is better. Let's avoid fire.

As a player, I can say that the gamemaster should have worked more closely with you so you could run your character and he could run his game and you could both be happy.

As a gamemaster, and I've had one player I've told this multiple times, if he wasn't having a good time with something, he's always got the right to leave the game.

As a player in that game, I will certainly miss Magnus. He had a profound influence on Elden and Elden will waste a lot of time looking for the guy who drank and smoked with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:10 pm 
The Anti-Canon

LOL!

It's not that I tried, it's that I couldn't succeed if I tried!
Not because of any plan, but it would screw up the canon.
I'm sure the SG woudl let me TRY... but freedom to lose isn't the same thing as freedom to win or lose.

And yes I saw you pester Corwin. It was cute and didn't change a damn thing in the story other than get you in trouble. I have no doubt in my mind that the storyteller will let you hose your character up as much as you want.

You are the best at that, by the way. Though poor Tara isn't a slouch either.
If a character builds up good stuff by stressing it, you should be quickly up to ten or more points. :) Elden's thread was quite fun to read, though I really have to wonder about your goals with him.

Is Elden to be the living manifestation of the black road?