Strange Bedfellows
Tears From the Sun
Under The Rose

GAMES PAST
Cry Havoc
First Light
Light From Shadow
Time Under Chaos

There were times that called for the use of ancient and powerful words, the acknowledgment of humans in a crisis everywhere and everywhen since language was first invented. This was one of them. "Shit." Aurora said.
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:12 pm

Post subject: AmberFate
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:22 pm 
Innocent of All But Malice

I've been toying with this idea since Spirit of the Century, and now that I've got Fate Core under my belt, I think it's time to dust it off again.

Simply put, Amber run with Fate.

Not everyone likes dice with Amber, but I think it can work well enough.

I'm not looking at simply porting ADRPG into Fate, though. I'm thinking of going back to canon and starting anew - or at least somewhat fresh.

I'm not trying to get into mechanical information here, but there are some questions that I think I'd need to answer to do this.

1) Power Level - I prefer to play my own character, so I would tend to stick with the 'Children of the Sons & Daughters of Oberon (or their Chaos Equivalents).
This, of course, raises the question of just how much difference there is - is the omnicapabiity of the older generation due solely to their age, or is it something more to do with blood? If the first, then the younger generation are more like 'normal' characters, and we don't pare skills down to show that omnicapabiilty.
Of course, some would want the ability to stat out the elders for play as well. I'm not so sure that should really be an option - at least, not at the levels they achieved in the books - but I can see the desire. Thoughts?

2) Powers. To be honest, aside from Pattern, Powers aren't really well defined in the first set of books, as I recall, anyway. And even Pattern is fairly broad. Even assuming that I bring in the Merlin series (which I expect I will) we don't get tons of information on Logrus, and we get Merlin's Sorcery. What powers should be included? Should there be different versions of Sorcery? (I always got the impression that Mandor and Fiona both used completely different versions than Merlin did, but that may just be me.)

3) Items. Fortunately for me, Fate provides a very good way of handling items, especially items of Power, such as the Jewel of Judgement. To wit, they're written up as characters, with their own motivations, troubles and the like. I think it would work well for any Item we see in the series.

4) Advancement. Fate has an advancement system, so that could work, though with extended play, there would come a point where PCs would want to start achieving something of the power of the elders.

5) Scale. So, we know that - physically, at least - Amberites are superior to Humans. (There certainly seems to be a correlation of a similar superiority to Chaosians, but I'm not too sure of that on an individual basis.) Should this be limited to physical, or should this scaling apply across the board?

Post subject: Re: AmberFate
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:59 pm 
Pattern Master

I like the idea, but don't totally "get" FATE yet. I have the rulebooks and have skimmed them, but I won't have a good feel for the system unless I get to play a game or two of it.

Historically, FATE was developed as an Amber game, actually. Fred Hicks was part of a group who ran FUDGE Amber, then decided to tweak FUDGE to allow more options and in so doing ended up designing FATE.

Original D&D Player since 1975

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:54 am 

Well, the thing is, I'm not looking so much for Fate assistance, as Amber assistance. Trying to sort out the book canon from the ADRPG canon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:22 pm 
Pattern Master

Any progress on this? I'm interested in your ideas even if I can't contribute a lot to them. :)

Original D&D Player since 1975

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:15 am 

Not as much as I'd like, no. I always have a lot of irons in the fire, and AmberFate fell back to the back burner.

However, it hasn't died, and I am still thinking of things. Just more slowly than before.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:36 am 

I've been thinking some more about this. I've pretty much decided that I'll be going with Fate Core mostly as is.

I'll make a few changes to skills, and start characters out slightly more powerful than Fate Core would (max Rank for skills Superb), but the big changes are going to be as follows:

Scale (taken from the Kerberos Club). Scale will measure Human / Chaos / Amber / Court.

PCs of either Chaos or Amber will default to Amber Scale on their apex skill/skills. All other skills default to Chaos. You can increase a skill tier (i.e. all skills at a given Rank) at a cost of 2 Refresh. So to have all of your skills at Amber to start would cost 8 Refresh if your Apex skill is Superb.

As I expect to start characters out at no more than 10 Refresh, and Powers will cost points as well, players will want to think long and hard about what they'll Scale.

Scale counts as a Stunt available to all skills of that tier, granting an immediate and always available +2 per step the scale is above the opponent. When Aaron fights with a sword against a Chaos ranked opponent, his normally Superb (+5) Fight becomes +7. However, if he's fighting Corwin, whose Fight is also Superb, but who has it at Court tier, then Corwin's Fight counts as +7 against Aaron. Aaron against a Human, or Corwin against a Chaosite would have an effective +9. You can still fight them, but you'll need stunts, you'll need to invoke Aspects, and play dirty - much like Corwin did with Benedict.

Finally, Powers.

The biggest power is Planewalking. It requires a High Concept that ties the character to either Chaos or Amber. If they have that, then with 1 Refresh, they have access to the Planewalker Skill. (It's basically the same skill for both, it's just hard to use on the other side's worlds.

Sorcery requires an Aspect that ties into learning Sorcery, and for 1 Refresh grants access to the Sorcery Skill, which provides Overcome Actions and Create a Maneuver Actions by default. Additional stunts (at 1 Refresh each) are needed to gain the abilities to attack and/or defend.

Trump. Using an existing Trump for the purposes of direct communication and travel is usually a gimme, though it does allow for direct mind to mind combat using the Will Skill (or another skill, if appropriate).

Creating Trumps, or using their more esoteric abilities, requires the Trump Skill. No Aspect is required for this, though it would be wise to mention a Trump Deck in an Aspect so as to have it available most of the time. It still has to be purchased, at 1 Refresh.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:38 am 

Oh, and characters will be able to purchase normal Stunts as well.

The closer you are to 1 Refresh (you can't go over) the harder life is on you, as you more or less constantly have to accept compels to have a decent pool of Fate Points. The higher your Refresh, the more the universe will bend for you before you have to deal with the unpleasantness.